The rise in the usage of shopping apps is a clear indication of one thing, which is that majority of people now prefer them more than the traditional brick and mortar stores.
According to a survey conducted by the Pew Research Center, a substantial majority of Americans (i.e around 77%) own smartphones, out of which 79% make purchases online.
There are a number of reasons that have resulted in the rising usage of m-commerce apps. Some of these reasons are:
- For the great convenience that these apps offer. You just have to flip your smartphone out of your pocket and there you go. It’s like an entire city of malls inside your mobile phone. Every possible brand you can think of. Every possible item that you would want to purchase. Right there in your phone.
- They allow people to compare the online prices of items to the prices offered in traditional brick and mortar stores. This can help you make a wise choice as you can purchase the same item which you saw in one of the physical stores for a much less price online.
- There are a number of discount coupons, vouchers, and offers that you get while making purchases online. This is one of the biggest reasons why people prefer making purchases through m-commerce apps.
This rise in the usage of shopping and retail apps have impacted the retail industry for all the good reasons.
They have gained a lot of traction and continue to do so through these apps. In addition to that, they are also able to simplify a lot of their tasks. Here’s how:
- With these apps, they can boost their retail activities. They help create a close relationship between consumers, retailers, and brand merchandise. Retailers can form a direct connection with their customers by personally communicating with them via push notifications where they can send direct alerts about new products, updates, discount, and promotions.
- With these apps, there is potential to bring in new customers with the appealing interface of your m-commerce app. The increased number of customers will result in increased sales, as a result of which there will also be a rise in the revenue.
- As a retailer, you can have access to deeper analytics with these apps and get to know your customers better, such as, their names, age, sex, location, phone numbers, email ids, shopping history, purchase patterns, and other relevant details. This will help you understand your target audience much better, which would ultimately help you in forecasting things better.
- These apps can help reduce a lot of your costs as a retailer. A significant amount of marketing campaign costs and productivity costs are reduced. The cost of app development, maintenance, and support which is charged even by the most competitive web development services is much less than the cost of other selling points as in brick and mortar stores. As the owner of a retailer or shopping app, you can even place ads within your app and earn a lot from them.
- Customers find it easy to find and locate your store with such apps since they have integrated maps and geo location to help you customers navigate to your store. This results in increased store visiting and in turn, more purchases.
- With their own retail mobile apps, grocery stores can reach out to a wider audience and increase their sales. With such apps, customers can create their own grocery lists, to-do-lists, share them with others, get recipes, menu, and meal suggestions. They can also scan product barcodes and search for items with voice commands. Flipp and Big Oven are some popular grocery apps.
- Supermarket owners are providing consumers with their own mobile apps to give them a good shopping experience. These apps have built-in barcode scanner functionality to make it convenient for the customers to find out all the information about the product themselves without requiring the help of any staff. In addition to that, if you are a supermarket owner, then you create such an app to significantly improve your internal operational process. You can introduce the app to your staff and help them find particular goods information by barcode scanning functionality. This helps simplify all goods storage and refill operations.
- Fashion outlets can create their retail mobile apps, through which they can make use of push notifications to communicate alerts about their promotions and sales to their customers. This way, your shoppers will spend more time and money in your online store or mobile app.
- Managing warehouses is not an easy task for wholesalers, manufacturers, exporters, importers, and other businesses that use goods storage. These retail mobile apps can help warehouse workers by automating and optimizing a lot of the warehouse processes, which in turn, improves the warehouse operational cycle. These apps serve as a useful tool for order pickers by honing the order preparation process and logistic route for them, ultimately saving a lot of their time and efforts.